[Dixielandjazz] Sop Sax Vibrato + Loud Music

OArkas at aol.com OArkas at aol.com
Sat Jun 11 17:46:34 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/11/05 4:49:06 PM, lherault at bu.edu writes:

> Vibrato:
>
> I believe pronounced vibrato is a New Orleans thing.  Maybe it is French
> in origin?  Listen to the vibrato French singers like Piaf used.

Hi, Folks:
People have been talking about Sop. sax and clarinet and vibrato.   I haven't
posted, but I have been thinking about how the tone used by many clarinetists
is "different" from that used by us Greek clarinetists.   It's not just that
we play Alberts (and often in C), but that we use a vibrato in the tone.   I
don't know how I do it actually; it's just the sound we hear and that we play.
 I remember having the opportunity of hearing Willie Humphrey at Preservation
Hall playing his Bb Albert about 14 or so years ago.   His tone was more like
ours with a vibrato on that Albert clarinet.   He sure was a neat person too!
Best regards,
John Pappas