[Dixielandjazz] Re: Keeping uke in tune for a set

OArkas at aol.com OArkas at aol.com
Fri Jun 10 20:33:31 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/10/05 8:18:08 PM, miltloomis at yahoo.com writes:

> When I
> got it home, I tuned it, and played it and
> thought hey, this sounds darned good, but I know
> it won't stay in tune. Surprise: It did and does.
> It just needed some time for those strings to
> settle in.

Hi:
With stringed instruments, many musicians stretch the new strings after
they've put them on and tuned them.   Of course, when you pull the string like that
it will go way flat.   Tune it back up, and pull it again.   This procedure
accelerates the time it takes for them to stretch out.   Some folks might not
like to do this, but it works well on steel strings for sure.
Good luck.
J. Pappas