[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 30, Issue 20

Patrick Cooke amazingbass at cox.net
Fri Jun 10 14:10:53 PDT 2005

Don Ingle wrote:

    > We are contimplating a return on our 50th to N.O. >just to see
>if any of it stands as we knew it then. But things change
>and I suppose
>The Crescent City has as well. We'll see.

Yes, it has changed some.  Still some good dixie bands, but a lot of
competition from clubs that feature Cajun music, zydeco, rock, and a lot of
unidentifiable sounds coming from every open door on Bourbon street, with
PAs all set at maximum decibels.  Still some good music at Palm Court,
Fritzels, Turtle's on Decatur, Maison Bourbon, and Storyville.  The
personnel varies from one night to the next, so you take your chances. Also
a good group at the Market cafe from 11:30 to 3:30 in the daytime most days.
It's not OKOM, but they are great players till the leader comes out and
sings all the the things the tourists want to hear.
        Pat
-----