[Dixielandjazz] Trumpets and Cornets

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Thu Jun 9 15:07:08 PDT 2005

Bob Smith stated:
Both the normal trumpet and the normal cornet are concert Bb instruments, although both are made in other keys.
In appearance, the trumpet is much longer than the cornet with sharper bends.
True, though there are trumpets in C and I've seen music for a trumpet in "D". Also,  the older trumpets and cornets
had at least one substitute lead pipe and valve pipe set to replace the Bb set, which allowed the Bb cornet to be
converted to play as an Ab instrument.

 Further, I own a 1987 Conn Eb cornet made in the old Worcester MA, Conn factory which plays in the same key and
range as an alto horn. (It's a gas to play this in duet with a trombone.)

Craig