[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 30, Issue 19

Patrick Cooke amazingbass at cox.net
Thu Jun 9 13:38:10 PDT 2005

Judy writes:

>The thing that I find irritating in the UK is that so many festivals devote
>themselves to what we here  call "New Orleans" music and disdain anything
>else.

      Many of the festivals in the U.S. do the same thing.  Sometimes I
think all the musicians at a festival get on the same plane and go to the
next festival......and play the same tunes the same way we've all heard them
a thousand times before.  The "all stars", I find are particularly guilty of
this, in their desire to "play something we all know".  I know they are
extremely capable of playing something different.  I would not like to hear
the same tune more than three times in one day.
      If you want to hear something that is a little more creative, you
almost have to go to a different kind of festival.  Some of the "trad"
festivals seem to hire a few token "all stars" in a half-hearted attempt at
a more varied line-up, but they're still basically trad festivals.

>Chris reckons that jazz in New Orleans has moved on
> since the days when Ken Colyer was there.

    I have to admit I don't know who Ken Colyer is/was, but I was living
California and Florida for about 45 years, and just returned to New Orleans
11 years ago.  New Orleans has advanced to using PA systems, and there are a
few purists who even stay to listen when there is more than one microphone
in use.  There are still a few smug "elitists" who still would rather hear
an out-of-tune acoustic piano than an in-tune electronic one, even though
the new keyboards can sound like a concert grand.  There are a few other
silly notions harbored by a few that make them feel they are above those of
us who live in a world of electric refrigerators, TV, computers, and
automatic transmissions.
    But basically the music has survived and even advanced a little,
somewhat to the dismay of a few who feel that improvement is impossible.
    Come to the French Quarter Festival.....It's mostly local New Orleans
musicians.  They still play a lot of the old chestnuts, but most of the
musicianship is superb.
     Pat Cooke

----- Original Message ----- > Message: 13