[Dixielandjazz] 'Nuther dumb question

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu Jun 9 12:01:56 PDT 2005

snip:
> Now I have another silly question, but what better place to get a good
answer. What I'm wondering is how trumpet and cornet differ from one
another, and why might one prefer one instrument over the other? Anyone care
to jump in?

Cornet is a conical bore instrument, that is it starts out small and
gradually gets larger like a sax.  the trumpet is a straight bore and it
stays essentially the same size until it gets to the last crook just before
the bell.  The sound of a cornet is more mellow and has less projection.  I
personally prefer the cornet to the trumpet.  Trumpets are usually used in
orchestras whereas bands starting with Sousa uses cornets.  However having
said that kids will almost always select the trumpet over the cornet.  The
cornet is easier to hold in a horizontal position because the elbows can be
held closer to the body and is more restful.  Since cornets were used in
bands (military and other) around the turn of the century they became a part
of the Dixie band and is usually used today in trad bands.

The flugelhorn (sp?) is a conical instrument and produces a very mellow tone
but little projection.  If I were king of the world you would need a special
permit to play trumpets.  That's personal preference.  I find the flugelhorn
to be a very cool instrument.  This horn was actually outlawed during WWI by
General Pershing.  He would have no German instruments in his bands.  The
rest of the country followed suit and the instrument fell out of favor until
jazz players re-discovered it.  You still won't find them in American
concert bands, however, English brass bands use a flugelhorns as part of
their standard instrumentation to our loss.

Larry Walton
St. Louis