[Dixielandjazz] 'Nuther dumb question

johnbird at sympatico.ca johnbird at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 9 10:37:23 PDT 2005

Thanks to all the folks who explained OKOM for me. Makes perfect sense.

Also, thanks for the ukulele thread, and for all the contributions. Of course I am quite familiar with Cliff Edwards, who clearly has jazz roots, but I think of him as more of a pop crooner--although clearly a great ukulele player too. I guess I was wondering more about whether there were any obscure uke players back there in the formational days of jazz that people might be familiar with.

On a jugband list, someone from Belgium hooked me up with a recording of hokum and blues from the 1920 featuring a number of ukulele, banjo-uke and banjo players. The only names I can recall at the moment are Ukulele Bob Williams and Danny Smalls (if memory serves). This is great stuff that I've never seen mentioned before in popular histories. I was wondering if there were any obscure early jazz ukulele players that you folks could draw to my attention.

Now I have another silly question, but what better place to get a good answer. What I'm wondering is how trumpet and cornet differ from one another, and why might one prefer one instrument over the other? Anyone care to jump in?

Cheers,
John