[Dixielandjazz] Johnny Windhurst & Bechet

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 9 07:23:03 PDT 2005

"Phil O'Rourke" <philor at webone.com.au> wrote

> Mike
>
> You liked the Bunk Nocturnes, Bocage was a little rusty and very homesick
> but Johnny Windhurst was great. I think he sounded better than Bunk (he was
> probably more sober). Bechet had/took more room on the Windhurst broadcasts.

Oh my, Johnny Windhurst. Brings back memories, Phil. he was a great trumpet
player virtually unknown and/or forgotten here in the US of A.

I too think he sounded better than Bunk, at least back then, and was lucky
enough to have played with him a few times in NYC when I was a young and
struggling jazz musician wannabe. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone