[Dixielandjazz] Lurkers , etc

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Wed Jun 8 16:52:08 PDT 2005

Snip
Sop sax, ouch. First heard on the HOT JAZZ CLUB OF FRANCE, circa 1940.
acceptable, but when George Probert played it at Victor and Roxie's in
Oakland with the Scobey band, Just didn't like the upper register. still
don't

I would absolutely agree with you for about 90% of the people who attempt
the soprano.  It is a difficult instrument to sound good on.  Clarinet
players who try it are especially prone to disaster because while the size
and general sound of the instrument are very similar the lock jaw embouchure
that clarinet players develop will destroy the sound of the Soprano.  The
soprano must be all muscle and no bite with the teeth pulled down.  The
soprano just isn't the same as anything else.  Many players pay no attention
to what the shape and size of their mouth is while playing and they develop
a tongue thrust forward pinched sound.  The soprano should sound a lot like
an English Horn.  The player and his concept is highly critical to what a
soprano sounds like.  It's just not another sax.  The minute someone takes
that attitude you have an out of tune mess that sounds like a duck, that no
one in their right mind would like.