[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 30, Issue 20

johnbird at sympatico.ca johnbird at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 8 13:13:34 PDT 2005

Imagine my excitement, as a ukulele player just developing an interest in OKOM (now that I know what it means) to hook up with this list and almost immediately find people talking about using ukulele to play Dixieland. I play ukulele in a band we describe as an eclectic, acoustic roots band. We do a few old swing tunes like Sunny Side of the Street, Georgia, Pennies from heaven, with clarinet, fiddles and guitars to take the solos, but are not really jazz players. We also do some blues like St. James Infirmary and Key to the Highway, and some Western Swing like Walking the Floor and Tennessee Moon, and I think (he said humbly) the ukulele contributes nicely to the rhythm section in all these pieces. I play a tenor uke, with a built in pick-up and the higher register means the sounds cuts through fairly well (if I could only play better, but I'm working on it).

Is there historical precedent? Does anyone know of original Dixieland bands that featured uke? Anyway, I'd be interested to hear more.

Cheers,
John