[Dixielandjazz] Ukulele

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 8 10:32:26 PDT 2005

Edgerton writes (regarding a uke in a dixie combo):

>Might be an interesting sound, but calling this Dixie is a bit of a
>stretch.  But then, I didn't really think of Palm Springs Yacht Club as
>a Dixie band either. IMO, it takes more than playing tunes like Clarinet
>Marmalade and Tiger Rag to be a Dixie band.

This is why I recommended the baritone uke - it's almost like a smaller
guitar (tuned just like a guitar) and has a fuller sound than the tinkly
little soprano uke with the fourth string pitched almost as high as the
first string (my dog has fleas).

To my ear, the soprano uke goes plink-a plink-a . . . and the baritone uke
swings!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Aloha" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com