[Dixielandjazz] Thumbrest (was Miscellaneous Ramblings)

Aad Overeem aad.overeem at wanadoo.nl
Tue Jun 7 15:04:54 PDT 2005

Hey Larry, Tom, Steve and other listmates,

As a reedinstruments player (clarinets and saxes) I suffered also thumb pain
for years, when playing the clarinet. Tried everything from painkillers to
neckstrap etc., I even quit clarinet playing for some time, for years I only
played my saxophones.

But I missed the beautiful sound of my clarinet, so about two years ago I
dusted of, my trusted Selmer Series 9 Bb clarinet, mounted a regular Selmer
adjustable thumb rest and started playing again. After some weeks of
playing, much to my horror, again I developed thumb-pain.

But! Thanks to an article in the Dutch magazine 'De Klarinet' I learned
about the 'Ton Kooiman Etude' Thumb-rest. I ordered one, and to my
astonishment, after getting used to it, the pain disappeared!

The Etude makes it possible to move the pressure point of the thumb rest to
the first phalanx of the thumb to the space between the two joints.
The lever momentum is much smaller at this point so the thumb can support
the weight more easily.

I know this sounds as a commercial, but it really is not. For me it works!

There are two differen types of thumb-rests, the 'Maestro' an expensive
'pro' model, and the 'Etude' a simpler plastic thumb-rest, I use the 'Etude'
that's good enough for me. Besides curing my thumb pain it also gives me
more 'control' with the instrument.
You can find more information on Ton Kooiman's website: www.tonkooiman.com
Decide for yourself to have a look, I'm not involved in any commercial way
with this great device. I'm only emotional involved because I'm so thankful
it helps me.

Hope this helps !

All the very best,

Aad Overeem