[Dixielandjazz] OKOM in Gilroy, CA (was: Attn All Members)

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Jun 7 06:24:35 PDT 2005

Bob Ringwald wrote, in part:

> ... anyone monitoring the List would think that we only
> have 2 *real members & maybe 10 associate members.
>
> I propose that everyone who regularly posts to DJML,
> (all the regulars), stop posting for maybe 2 days.
>
> Then, maybe some of the other 490 members might
> come out of the woodwork.
>
> What do you think?

Okay, okay.

Relatively new subscriber here, who attended Sacramento Jazz Jubilee for the
first time this year (and among many great things there, had the pleasure of
meeting and visiting briefly with Bob Ringwald), crawling out of the
woodwork to post again....

There's now OKOM at least twice a month in Gilroy, CA.  A small band with
somewhat flexible membership, "Tommy Bro's Hecker Pass All-Star Dixieland
Jazz Band," is playing twice a month at Happy Dog Pizza, #55 Fifth Street,
Gilroy.  The band plays from 6 PM - 8:30 PM on the first and third Friday of
each month. The band personnel are, more or less, and with occasional
appearances by others:

Cornet & Leader:
	Tom Brozene
Saxello, Alto Sax, Bass Sax & Vocals:
	Rick Siverson (also whatever other weird instrument
		he might have along with him.  Two weeks ago
		he took a couple of choruses on alto recorder ...)
Trombone:
	Howard Miyata (also occasional vocals)
	or
	Tommy Brozene (Tom Jr.)
Tuba:
	Howard Miyata
	or
	Tommy Brozene (Tom Jr.)
	or
	Jim O'Briant (yours truly) (pray for no vocals, please)
Banjo & Vocals:
	Bill Armstrong

Other local musicians sit in regularly as well.

The June 17 appearance is still somewhat tentative, as that evening is
Gilroy High School Graduation and several of the musicians and/or their
spouses are on the school district faculty, but other than that we should be
there twice a month for the foreseeable future.

As for me, I just look forward to the weekends when High Sierra has a
festival, 'cuz if we don't go to the festival, then I get to play because
Howard is out of town.

Jim O'Briant, Tuba
Gilroy, CA