[Dixielandjazz] Sacto comments

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Jun 6 15:27:50 PDT 2005

Mark Heller wrote:

> have a couple of comments on this year's Jubilee.
>
> I was surprised at how small the audience was for some very good bands,
> especially at Old Sacramento venues.  We were in the Golden Eagle venue
> on Friday and heard Cell Block Seven, Devil Mountain, and Golden Gate
> Rhythm Machine.  We took an  hour off, came back and watched the Titanic
> in the same venue.  Most of the time there were open chairs despite the
> fact that the place has but 180 seats.
>
> We had a similar experience at the Embassy Ballroom the next day (400
> seats).
>
> Have attendance figures been published?
>
> I also wondered about the absence of Uptown Lowdown and Golden Eagle.
> Have they disbanded?
> I have attended the Jubilee for many years and I think they were at
> every festival I attended.
>
> Management should keep in mind that folks, who travel a great distance
> to attend, do so only because Sacramento is the "best".  We can go to
> small festivals closer to home, if quality is cut.
>
> But I will be bacl next year
>
> Mark L. Heller
> Albany NY

Mark,

I was not aware that Uptown Lowdown was not at the Jubilee.  Perhaps Burt
Barr (leader) could fill us in on that as he is a member of DJML.

I have not heard much about the Golden Eagle lately.

However, you must remember that with the amount of bands that apply to come
to the Jubilee, we cannot possibly have all of them every year.  Some must
be rotated, or we would have 2,000 bands here.

The attendance figures have not been published as yet.  It will take 3 to 4
weeks to get a definite figure.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV