[Dixielandjazz] Sacto comments

Mark Heller mheller1 at nycap.rr.com
Mon Jun 6 12:37:22 PDT 2005

have a couple of comments on this year's Jubilee.

I was surprised at how small the audience was for some very good bands,
especially at Old Sacramento venues.  We were in the Golden Eagle venue
on Friday and heard Cell Block Seven, Devil Mountain, and Golden Gate
Rhythm Machine.  We took an  hour off, came back and watched the Titanic
in the same venue.  Most of the time there were open chairs despite the
fact that the place has but 180 seats.

We had a similar experience at the Embassy Ballroom the next day (400
seats).

Have attendance figures been published?

I also wondered about the absence of Uptown Lowdown and Golden Eagle.
Have they disbanded?
I have attended the Jubilee for many years and I think they were at
every festival I attended.

Management should keep in mind that folks, who travel a great distance
to attend, do so only because Sacramento is the "best".  We can go to
small festivals closer to home, if quality is cut.

But I will be bacl next year

Mark L. Heller
Albany NY