[Dixielandjazz] Jazz radio--again

Burt Wilson futurecon at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 07:48:23 PDT 2005

Dear Charles--
Wonderful article! Hits all the high points. Unfortunately there is a
strong movement towards a monochromatic society going on in the US--has
been for quite some time--and the worst part is that it is economically
based. This has squeezed out diversity and replaced it with what is
profitable. And, due to mergers, the economics are narrowing our society,
too. If it's not way profitable, it's neither made nor sold.

While this might make room for cottage industries now (Is hot jazz a
cottage industry?) it will eventually implode and lose the economic driving
force. Then we might have diversity again, but who'll be able to attend a
jazz festival? Never mind, we'll work things out. We always do.

One of my best friends was B. Mitchell Read, the FM DJ at the old KMET in
Los Angeles. In the late 60's, he had the airways to himself and played
eclectic music and attracted the young from the all across the LA basin. He
was "in." FM radio had no commercials then because the big advertisers (I
was an ad agency creative director and also did a public service show on
KMET) were still plunking it down for the KHJ "Boss Jocks" and bubblegum
music. When they finally discovered KMET, the commercialization ruined it.
Mitch died shortly thereafter. It seems that commercialization destroys
everything--from religion to government to music. When will we learn?

Burt