[Dixielandjazz] 5 Minutes of Fame

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 06:59:41 PDT 2005

A couple of weeks ago, guitarist Sonny Troy, Bassist Ace Tesone and I
visited Howard Technical High School, from which the great Clifford Brown
graduated about 60 years ago. We played for the kids in the lunchroom.

Mostly simplified bop and straight ahead jazz.

WHYY TV, Channel 12 here in the Philadelphia/Wilmington area filmed about 40
minutes worth. Including interviews with Ace, who played and recorded with
Brownie, and Sonny and I who met Brownie once or twice.

The filming was edited to about 5  minutes and will be shown on Channel 12
in this area on Thursday, June 9 at approximately 5:54 PM EDT. (since we
only got 5 minutes of fame, I guess we're still due 10)

You can also view the TV program on computer from June 9 or 10 to June 16 if
you have Real Player. Just visit <http://www.whyy.org/detonight> and click
on Portrait in Time and you'll see the story via streaming video.

Why watch? Well depending upon the editing . . . and the sound quality . . .

1) You get to see/hear three old men playing jazz for Black and White High
   School Kids who are digging it. Some danced to it. (They had no advance
   notice we were coming)

2) You get to see these high school kids reacting to Mardi Gras beads.

3) You get to see some interesting interviews about Brownie.

4) You get to see an aging clarinetist make a mistake or two.  :-) VBG.
   As a mea culpa, my horn had some air leaks which I did not realize at the
   time. For the past couple of weeks, I just thought I was losing it
   slowly but surely. :-) VBG

5) You get to see the warts and all because I'm not sure how they edited.
   They may have kept all the bad stuff. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone