[Dixielandjazz] Perfect pitch

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 5 15:20:39 PDT 2005

Hi all . . .

Some talk recently about the "perfect pitch" phenomenon. Made me recall a
column Dave Barry wrote some time ago which is related to this subject.

Basically, Barry was fascinated by a chant at the basketball games. It seems
that in Miami, whenever there was a home game and the opposing team
attempted a basket and for some reason the ball missed the basket
completely, the crowd would start chanting spontaneously and they would
chant the words "air ball" over and over so it sounded like "air ball air
ball air ball air ball air ball air ball air ball" etc.

It was a sing-songy kind of chant and Barry noticed something he felt was
unusual. It seemed to him that the crowd would ALWAYS do this chant in the
same key (one flat). He took a tape recorder to a game and recorded the
chant and when he got it home he played it and checked it against the notes
on his piano. Behold . . . the notes were F and D (the key being D minor).
On further checking he repeated the experiment and it was always the same!
"Air ball air ball" was always chanted on the notes F and D!

This chant was always spontaneous and there was no musical instrument in
play to provide the pitch to sing this chant on. So why was it always in the
key of one flat? Does the crowd at a basketball game have "perfect pitch" or
what?

I've tried the same experiment myself. Sometimes at a gig when the band is
setting up I'll start chanting "air ball" to myself and then ask the piano
player to hit a "F" - Virtually everytime it's "Bingo" -- I was right on the
note!  I've even impressed some others by announcing "Listen, I'll sing an
"F" (and I go through the routine) and the piano player then verifies that I
was indeed singing an "F."

To be honest, I've also missed a few of these experiments and hit some other
note. But that's probably because I was influenced by other axes tuning up
or something. But most of the time I've been right on.

Anyone care to comment about this . . . you might try the experiment
yourself and see what happens.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "air ball air ball air ball" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com