[Dixielandjazz] Festival in Hungary

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 5 11:10:32 PDT 2005

When I re"enlisted" awhile back, I was determined to remain a
lurker--like one on welfare, always sucking out and never blowing in;
but Tomas' posting leaves me no alternative: I simply must encourage
y'all (I'm a native Texan) to heed his call.

I was one of those fortunate players to have been chosen by Tomas for
the Hungarian Dance #1992, I think it was: a dance with Mimi Blois,
in company with the Paul Asaro Trio and "Rusty" Isham Jones II, to
fly to Kecskemét  and spend a dozen marvelous days traveling around
this beautiful historic country and playing for Hungarians--which is
"carrying coals to Newcastle" if I ever understood the phrase!
Wait a minute!  I'm supposed to demonstrate to Hungarians how to play
the clarinet?   Forget it!
Mimi Blois to demonsrate piano?  Well now, that's different.  Mimi
can show ANYBODY how to play the piano.   Former classical player
turned stride player, her smoking technique and warm hugging
personality and crazy Quebicois accent all through Hungary made me
fall in love with her--well, I fell into admiration of her:  I was
already married and hopelessly in love with my wife.   Otherwise....

I'm trying to say a simple thing:  if any of you can show up in
Kecskemet--a city that Brahms called  "the most beautiful city in
Europe,"-- please go there.  You won't regret it!   Tomas will take
care of you all: in addition to being a marvelous pianist and
violinist, he is a leader/organizer of genius.

Charlie