[Dixielandjazz] Mozart Effect - Redux

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Jun 5 01:01:37 PDT 2005

On Jun 4, 2005, at 9:44 PM, Steve barbone wrote:
Why should the Mozart effect have to be disproved? Seems to me it was
never
> proved in the first place. So disproving it would be irrelevant.
>
> Remember the Mozart Effect people are saying Mozart's music alone, not
> all
> music, is the cure for all ills, as well as the only music that makes
> you
> smarter. Seems to me that should be hard for anyone to believe.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

I made a lousy choice of words with "disproved," as Hal Vickery also
pointed out. It's okay to say, though, that the effect is suspect but
certainly not discredited. If the effect doesn't hold up with some
statistical integrity (it doesn't have to work all of the time), it
will fade. Hucksters are making phony claims and plenty of dough by
making the effect a fad, and skeptics sharpen their claws on anything
that seems to challenge reductionist science, and all of that makes it
harder for anyone who's still trying to do genuine experimental work. I
don't have the sources on hand, but I've heard of studies done with
other composers--and even some studies under rigorous controls in which
some kinds of music had a salutary effect on plant growth. There's
nothing at stake for me in the way this turns out but I admire those
who look at new ways of thinking about how our brains and the universe
operate.

Charlie Suhor