[Dixielandjazz] Mozart Effect - Redux

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Jun 4 10:41:50 PDT 2005

On Jun 4, 2005, at 8:48 AM, Steve barbone wrote:

> The "Mozart Effect" was originally narrowly defined as:
>
> "The Mozart effect...For a while, very popular viewpoint, but now
> pretty much debunked as patent
> nonsense.
>
> For a "skeptic's" viewpoint of the issue see:
>
> http://skepdic.com/mozart.html

I read the skeptic's view and can agree that the Mozart effect isn't
strongly supported, but further studies could show that it does--or
doesn't--have merit. At this point the effect suspect, but certainly
not disproven.

I'm leery of those who flaunt the idea that they're skeptics, as in the
website cited, magazines for skeptics, and showboaters like the Amazing
Randy. Sure, healthy questioning is a necessary part of being an
intelligent human being but the positioning of oneself as a skeptic
becomes an ego-trip and revelation of bias.  H.L. Mencken did debunking
with great originality, audacity and humor, but he wasn't always right,
and the attitude comes as transparently affected, as a tempratmental
posture rather than a reasoned philosophical stance, in self-styled
skeptics.

Charlie Suhor