[Dixielandjazz] Re: Sacramento comments

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Jun 4 10:24:52 PDT 2005

 Bob Loomis miltloomis at yahoo.com wrote, regarding the recent Sacramento Jazz
Jubilee:

 (snip)
One thing that looked kind of off-putting
> about the jubilee is the scattered venues ...
> Seems to me it would make sense to try to
> headquarter it in one venue, especially since the
> Old Town aspect seems to be fading.
>   Wintergrass, the annual February bluegrass
> festival, (which usually also has some
> Django-style jazz) has about 6 venues in one
> hotel, the Tacoma Sheraton, and the bands move
> from one to another throughout the fest, so that
> you get more than one chance/venue to see them.
(snip)

Bob,

We do exactly that.  The only exception is that because there are more than
130 bands performing, they can't all fit in one hotel.

However, we have what might be called several Jazz Centers.  These are areas
where there are several venues clustered in a small area that are close
enough so that you can easily walk from one venue to another.  For instance,
Cal EXPO has 6 or 7 venues.  The Red Lion Hotel had 4.  The convention
center, Hyatt Hotel & Sheridan Grand ha several.  There is also Old
Sacramento & surrounding area.  Then we had our new area, Crocker Park.

Thus, if you went to one of these areas/venue clusters, it would be the same
as going to your Bluegrass festival in Tacoma.  It would be like one
festival except that instead of 15 bands rotating the venues, you would have
the possibility of 130 bands coming through over the 4 days.  You could
almost spend the entire festival at one cluster & see an awful lot of
bands--Many more than at any other Jazz festival.

however, it is usually much more fun to spend a day at one area & maybe the
night at another & then the next day at another.  just for variety sake.
Different people have different preferences.

Perhaps you have not yet been to Sacramento?

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Piano driver
Fulton Street Jazz Band
The Boondockers (Jazz and Comedy)