[Dixielandjazz] Re: Sacramento comments

Bob Shoring bobshoring at california.com
Thu Jun 2 22:50:45 PDT 2005

I was in Sacramento from the parade to the closing ceremony.  Sure heard
some outstanding bands, some for the first time and some that I always
come to hear.  But like at least one other DJML'er, I did find
scheduling more difficult than in previous years.  Due to logistics, I
more often found myself listening to a band I didn't really want to hear
just so that I'd be in the right place and have a seat for a band I
didn't want to miss.

Saturday morning and mid-day, there was quite a line of people waiting
to get in the Holiday Inn Ballroom, which had several great bands.
Titan Hot 7 really impressed me.  I went to one outstanding set with the
great Jim Cullum band in Old Town and wondered why there were still a
good number of empty seats.  I was pleased that Bob Jackson (trumpet) is
back with the Grand Dominion Jazz Band after an absence of several
years.  I thought that band sounded better than ever.

Great festival, but I do wish they could group more of the truly trad
bands together, so that we'd waste less time crisscrossing the area.

Regards,
Bob