[Dixielandjazz] Lead Sheets / Sheet Music

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 3 12:55:00 PDT 2005

Bill Haesler and John Farrell commented that many times, the net is the only
place one can obtain a lead sheet or sheet music to a particular song.

Dear John & Bill:

Of course I agree with you in that scenario. By all means, pass on the music
to "You're Bound To Look Like A Monkey When You Get Old" when it is not
elsewhere available.

The case under discussion was an Elvis Hit to which sheet music is readily
available in music stores world wide.

The reason for my stance is simply consistency. If I am going to complain
that because people do not come to the nightclubs to see jazz, the good
bands disappear for lack of support, then I am going to likewise complain
that when musicians/bands do not support the music stores, then the music
stores will also disappear along with the music for lack of support.

When we get asked to play certain songs at weddings, and we do not know
them, my first stop is at the sheet music department of the local music
store. I have yet to find that I could not obtain what I was looking for
within 48 hours. Like Beetles or Elvis songs, or Pacobel's Canon in D.

Yes, I could have gotten them free via the net, but  do not think that is
supportive the music business.

On the other hand, if somebody should request "My Canary Has Circles Under
His Eyes", I'd probably ask on the DJML, or Tex Wyndham who does indeed,
have the "original" sheet music. (But having played it 2 weeks ago, find it
to be, IMO, not much of a song, though the lyrics might make it a hit with a
group like the Boondockers, or Ballin The Jack))

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS to John: Hooray for simplified versions. I think we find that most OKOM
bands are not of exceptional musical stature. Many are unable to perform the
original "difficult" versions with any credibility. :-) VBG