[Dixielandjazz] Ballin' The Jack

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 20:17:28 PDT 2005

 Williams, Bob at robert.c.williams at eds.com wrote: about Ballin' The Jack

> Oh, I have.  A friend gave me their first CD.  What a great group!  And
> what a terrific treatment of the old classics.
>
> Steve, are you also familiar with John Zorn then?  Isn't he in this
> group?

Hi Bob:

Yes, I know Zorn but do not think he is a regular in this group. He was,
however, often at the Knitting Factory where Ballin' The Jack cut its teeth.
Here is a write up about them from "All About Jazz". Sounds like a FANTASTIC
GROUP that manages to connect the dots between the Past Music and Present
Audiences. And they DO have an audience

VERY popular in NYC and in Europe. Why not in the rest of the USA? Hey
festival booking agents, stop all that inbred "you hire me, I hire you"
closed club nonsense and start hiring the BEST AND MOST RELEVENT MUSICIANS
OUT THERE. You may even, gasp, choke, increase your audiences.

Oops, did I say that out loud? :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Ballin' The Jack does Marx Bros. - Joe's Pub Wednesday, May 4 7PM

Rediscover the swinging film music of the legendary Marx Brothers movies
with Klezmatic's reedman Matt Darriau's Ballin' the Jack. Bestowing the
solos of Harpo and Chico with an avant flavor sure to make the brothers
smile, their Joe¹s Pub performance will feature special guest Roy Nathanson
from the Jazz Passengers as MC, saxophonist and Groucho interpreter. Also
with charts by band members Andy Laster on baritone sax and clarinet, Frank
London on trumpet, Curtis Hasselbring on trombone, Anthony Coleman on
keyboard and piano, bassist Joe Fitzgerald and George Schuller on drums.

Ballin' the Jack will also premiere a new work by Darriau, commissioned by
Chamber Music America, further exploring the ensemble's interest in the
roots of jazz from the American south. The new work is a multi-part suite of
pieces, reinterpreting the highly expressive and unusual instrumental forms
and textures of early jazz, work song and blues while allowing for new
structures and contemporary improvisation. A brilliant blend of early
Ellington, Jellyroll Morton, New Orleans brass bands and Creole sounds Matt
Darriau and Ballin¹ the Jack remind us why they have become an integral part
of the downtown and European jazz scenes. ' ²Ballin' The Jack revives these
swing tunes in an ultra-modern way that makes them seem like they were just
written.... A strong candidate for Jazz CD of the Year² -- All-Music Guide

*** (Whooo hoo hoo hoo, oh you dog) First you put your knees together, close
up tight, Then you sway 'em to left, then you sway 'em to the right... Step
around the floor kind of nice and light, ... Then you twis' around, and
twis' around with all your might, ... Style and Grace, Swing your foot way
round, then bring it back, Now that's what I call Ball-in the Jack. Then you
do the Eagle Rock with style and grace, ... Swing your foot way'round then
bring it back, Now that's what I call Ballin' the Jack... ~Chris Smith, 1913

Matt Darriau was named one of the most influental jazz musicians of the last
fifteen years by Jazziz Magazine for bringing Balkan rhythms and melodies
into jazz. In addition to being a leading innovator in the eclectic downtown
scene of the 90's with his Paradox Trio (three CD's on the Knitting Factory
label) and for the past eight years with The Klezmatics, Darriau is also
active as composer and musician in the Recycled Waltz Orchestra and Septeto
Roberto Rodriguez.

With Ballin' the Jack Matt Darriau, creates new interpretations of music
from the early swing era. The seven-piece ensemble plays music of the Œ20's
& Œ30's with an emphasis on Ellington, Basie, John Kirby and some of the
jazz roots of R&B. While the players pay detailed attention to the original
orchestrations and intent, these unique periods in jazz provide a creative
platform for the band's spontaneous interpretations and interactions,
allowing them to explore ways in which early swing, with its through
composed and unusual forms, can inspire contemporary ³open² musicians -
especially early Ellington, who was working before standard conventions in
jazz were established. This crew of veteran ³downtown² players stay inside
the lines drawn by their earlier counterparts, but don't always color with
the same crayons. The result is a far more lively and relevant aesthetic
than your average repertory orchestra.

Conceived for the Tap Bar at New York's Knitting Factory where it developed
its unique esthetic during late 1990's, Ballin' The Jack recorded two CD's
for the Knitting Factory label. The first, ³Jungle² (1999), explores
Ellington, Basie and John Kirby and refers to the term ³Jungle sound ³ which
was used to describe the music of Ellington's Cotton Club orchestra with its
growling brass and heavy percussion grooves. This CD features Ellington
alumnus, trombonist Art Baron, a master of mutes and growl techniques.
Ballin' The Jack's second CD, ³The Big Head² (2001), was a year-end best on
Gary Giddins' 2001 Village Voice picks list. Ballin' The Jack has played
major festivals including the North Sea and Newport Jazz festivals and
remains committed to playing music that is challenging, yet makes people
want to move with the groove!