[Dixielandjazz] Payola

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Jul 30 09:37:18 PDT 2005

Yes indeed we should start one, however it should be operated a lot
differently than what the major record labels do.

I may very well do just that very shortly,  We can do it quite easily,
and legally,:

Each group needs to sign up as their own Sponsor to the organization
and pay tax deductible advertising fees which would guarantee them so
many songs played on a one hour program a month including information
on how and where to purchase their CDs, a gig calendar listing on a
hotline or website.

We then go out to every secondary market we can find local radio
stations on and purchase one or two hour blocks of time just like the
PREACHERS and Televangelist  boys do,  figure out the costs factor
relevant to the number of songs being played onthe show and each
fifteen minute segment can be sponsored by a different band.   We can
include live interviews, on air performances taped in advance and all
the other things that the big boys do.

We simply negotiate the cost of the air time from the station, and add
to it the production costs to assemble the daily, weekly or monthly
programs and SELL our own CDs on the program at substantial profits
that would of course pay for the sponsorship fees and still make a
profit for the band and give it much needed promotion and OKOM a lot
more coverage and exposure on the air waves.    Not to mention sending
your CDs to all the internet stations you can get interested in playing
them, and there are many but you have to find them, they will not be
looking for you.

I currently have about 150 stations playing my CDs worldwide, that
requested them, and my cost for all that promotion and airplay, about
$150.00 for the CDs and another $200.00 for postage.  If only one
person from each Stations listeners base buys ONE CD at retail price +
shipping and handling costs I made a profit for the exercise.  But you
have to package it up and take it to the post office.

How much advertising and promotion did you do this year for your band?

Like I am always saying folks, it is a numbers game, and since Learning
music is supposed to be good for teaching us MATH, why can't most
musicians count and add and subtract anything other than the amount of
money they can get for a gig in an ever dwindling market because they
do not market themselves.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Painful as it may be, just turn on the radio and listen to what the
Rock stations are doing for promotion, and the smooth jazz stations,
etc.  it is not all that difficult but you do have to work at it to get
it established and running.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins