[Dixielandjazz] Re: New Orleans Stomp (Again...)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 29 03:19:16 PDT 2005

Luis Flores dais [in part]: > I do have the following versions:
Snip:  -Louis Armstrong and Johnny Dodds, black bottom stompers-clarinet
wobble disc 1, 1927, Dodds as author
-Antigua jazz band, ´´Jazz caliente´´,where figure Hardin as author.
[Luis, Is this the one I have on a Tonodisc LP Ton-1022?]
Dear Luis,
Although I have yet to answer Luis Henriques' original question, your email
has raised an interesting question.
One I had not realised before.
Who composed "New Orleans Stomp"?
As reissue LPs and CDs have, over the years, frequently misinterpreted or
provided incorrect information regarding tune titles and composer credits, I
always (where possible) go back to the original source.
In the case of the first recording of "New Orleans Stomp" (16 Oct 1923) by
King Oliver's Jazz Band, the composer credit on the Columbia 13003 D gives
'Oliver and Picou'.
The list of King Oliver copyrights in the bio-discography 'King Oliver' by
Laurie Wright does not include "New Orleans Stomp", although it does list
"Chattanooga Stomp" also credited on the same Columbia release as by 'Oliver
and Picou'. Picou claimed that he often sent tunes to Oliver, who fashioned
them [with Lil Hardin's help] to suit the Creole Band.
However, the Vocalion 15632 record by Johnny Dodds' Black Bottom Stompers
(22 April 1927) gives credit to 'Hardin-Armstrong'.
These were the only two classic jazz versions made of the tune until Turk
Murphy revived it for Good Time Jazz in May 1949.
Did Columbia get the composer credit wrong? And did Joe Oliver realise it
was incorrect and never claimed credit for the tune?
Louis recorded "New Orleans Stomp" in Sept/Oct 1959 for Audio Fidelity (the
Peanuts Hucko session) of which I only have a few tracks on odd CDs.
However this version was (so far as I know) only on a Chiaroscuro LP (which
I have never seen).
There is also a discographal mention that "New Orleans Stomp" was on the
sound track of the 1946 Louis/Billie film 'New Orleans'.
However, I can't find any evidence of this.
Still checking this out.
Kind regards,
Bill.