[Dixielandjazz] Good times in San Antonio (The Landing)

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Thu Jul 28 17:33:42 PDT 2005

I just got back from San Antonio, where I did the Getzen booth for the  Texas
Bandmaster's Convention.  (A big convention!)
I played for three nights at Jim Cullum's Landing with a great San Antonio
group, called "Small World."  (They play a lot when Jim isn't there.)   Jim is
in California on tour right now.
I don't know how many of you have ever been to the Landing, but it has to  be
one of the best clubs in the world, to play in.  The only mics used are  for
vocals (Kyle Keener, the drummer is a KILLER vocalist), announcing, and in
this case Polly Harrison's acoustic guitar.  Even the bass isn't  amplified.
The acoustics are so good that you can just lay back and play  and know that
everyone in the audience can hear you easily.  It is one of  the best rooms I
have ever heard for clarinet.  That instrument just seems  to sing out there.
It was packed every night, and we even played an extra hour on Saturday
night.  Sunday night was Getzen night at the Landing and we had lots of  wonderful
musicians sit in.  There was even a whole "trombone section" that  night.
Mike Pitsley (the regular), Ron Wilkins, Freddy Mendoza, and yes  even Peggy
Vax, playing her new Getzen bone for the first time.
Many other wonderful players sat in too.  We played everything  from OKOM, to
show tunes, to Bebop.  A great time was had by
If you are ever planning a trip to southern Texas, go to San Antonio and
visit the Landing.  Jim's group who of course are usually there, are one of  my
very favorite bands, playing OKOM.
Mike Vax