[Dixielandjazz] Conrad Janis /Jerry Fuller

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 26 13:56:27 PDT 2005

dingle at baldwin-net.com wrote

> A great quartette that played at the old Hangover had Jack Perciful,
> piano, Charlie Lodice, drums, Ira Wesley,bass, and Jerry Fuller, clarinet.
> Just a wonderful, swinging four-some.  Jack later played 17 years with
> Harry James with rhythm mates Red Kelley, and Buddy Rich. Charlie went
> on toN.O. and worked for years with Pete Fountain; Ira stayed on the
> coast and is still a main call guy on upright bass, and Jerry moved east
> to work in the Boston area and make the jazz fest circuit. All good
> friends with whom I worked in various bands and combos, but sitting to
> listen was a joy for the short stand they had there at the Hangover.
> Jack and I roomed together on the road with Chuck Cabot band, and Jack
> later joined me to work with my dad for most of a year.
> Don't know about Janis -- I do not recall him being in CA in the 50's --
> he was mostly a New York fixture and came out later to do acting gigs.
> So. Cali in the 50's? It was a time now fondly fixed in memory of times
> when good players were heard often in some great venues.

Amen on Jerry Fuller. Great clarinetist.

Regarding Janis, I think before he formed those wonderful N.O. Swing Bands
in NYC, he got hooked on trad in CA. Seem to recall him saying that he moved
to California temporarily in late 1940s and listened often to Kid Ory at the
Beverly Cavern or Tavern? Possibly late 40s, early 50s. I think he also
played with one of his early bands at the Beverly on the nights Ory was off.
He was/is a HUGE Ory fan.

He moved back to NYC shortly after that and put together a series of New
Orleans Bands that swung their collective asses off in various NY clubs in
the 1950s & 60s. Used a mix of black and white players so what he got was a
sort of hybrid Dixieland. For want of a better description, Kansas City
Blues/New Orleans Trad Jazz. VERY POWERFUL MUSIC. He preceded Wilbur DeParis
at Ryan's and often complained that DeParis undercut his price and not only
stole the gig, but some of his arrangements as well.

I think he left the Big Apple for the lure of movies & TV in Hollywood
permanently in the early 1970's.

Any listmates who saw/heard Janis live in those days will no doubt recall
the power of those bands and his large following. Those who have not heard
Janis from this period are missing out on some great jazz.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone