[Dixielandjazz] Baltimore Symphony

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Jul 19 09:48:54 PDT 2005

dhs at ev1.net wrote:

>Dear Listers:
>
>Marin Alsop can thank Catherine Comet (pronounced Ko-May) for paving the way to her Musical Directorship.  Catherine Comet was the Associate Conductor of the BSO for several years in the 1980s.  Her reward was to become Music Director of the Grand Rapids Symphony, not one of the big ones, I'm afraid.  I heard Comet conduct a couple of times, and she did well.
>
>Regards,
>Dave Stoddard

Indeed, Comet was at the Grand Rapids Symphony for several years and I
heard her conduct a program of  Impressionists/Postimpressionist
composers and  she drew out a lot from the orchestra. I considered her
more than just a token women conductor but one who brought the best out
of an orchestra -- maybe getting more than the musicians knew they had
in them. That, in my book, is what makes a good conductor.
Don