[Dixielandjazz] Fair Pay

Talegatorz at aol.com Talegatorz at aol.com
Mon Jul 18 12:02:27 PDT 2005

The many recent postings on the list concerning the unfair pay practices so
prevalent in our business are nothing new. This has probably been the case
since mankind first
made music and it is something that is a part of many other arts and trades.

Music is like house painting. The only part people notice is brushing on the
final coat.
It seems like an easy thing, but no one ever considers that ninety percent of
the work
was washing, scraping, caulking, replacing rotten boards, priming and
endlessly climbing up and down the ladders. When we perform, the audience or club
owner only sees us painting that last coat. They don't see all the learning,
practice, travel, organization or purchase of instruments and equipment. If we are
any good at what we do, what they actually see looks even easier to them.
Basic economics are also at work. If the band leader, club owner or politico
can hire us for less, they think that only means more money left in their
pockets. These
shortsighted folks are very common. They get what they pay for and I've seen
most of them come and go. There are individuals who defy this stereotype and
will pay fairly for real quality. I believe that there are far more survivors
in this category than the former. They deserve our thanks, respect, admiration,
best work and greatest loyalty. The others should be aggressively negotiated
with and if the price is not fair, should be politely, but firmly told to go
pound on some sand.
People just don't like to pay for someone's labor. When I was young enough
for a day job working on cars, customers would often say things like. "Couldn't
you just adjust that?"; It takes you ten hours to replace that transmission?"
What's your labor rate again?" or the ever popular "Oh, by the way, I forgot
to bring my checkbook." At least I could just lock it up in the back yard with
the Dobermans. Musicians have no such options at the gig and can only pick and
choose carefully, hoping for the best. Lest someone write to complain about
auto shop labor rates, you should know that the average wrench is paid about
twenty per hour and the rest goes to pay the rent, insurance, mortgage,
management and a bit left over for profit. The mechanic has spent most of his life
learning his craft, skinning his knuckles and has probably paid the Snap-On guy
one-hundred per week for tools since he started out. One of my best friends is
dying before age fifty of a brain tumor after a life of honesty, fairness and
hard work in this industry. If you ever find an honest, competent mechanic, be
kind, pay him what he asks, thank him and give him a nice tip at the
holidays. He will likely feel that he can never do enough for you and you will be
repaid tenfold.

Thank you for reading my ranting,

Gus Bloch