[Dixielandjazz] Avalon -- the verse - little fishies or"flyingfishies"?

Tramette89 at aol.com Tramette89 at aol.com
Fri Jul 15 22:11:11 PDT 2005

In a message dated 7/15/05 9:11:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jobriant at garlic.com writes:

> The unusual thing is that the Verse begins and ends in G, with a double bar
> -- and a "cautionary" key signature at the end of the last line, indicating
> a new key for the Chorus.  The Verse is in G, and the Chorus is in F -- a
> rather uncommon modulation.

Hmm, that's odd. Sorry I was too late to be of any help to you (I was making
phone calls all day!), but the version of "Avalon" that I have is different.
The whole thing is in G, verse and chorus!  Mine says "Arr. by J. Bodewalt
Lampe" at the top of the page, maybe your version is by a different arranger, and,
hence, has a key change from the verse going into the chorus. What's the
copywrite date on the modulation version? (Mine says 1920, and yours may too, but
generally, if it's a different arrangement, they'll have the copywrite for
that particular arrangement at the bottom, so that they can squeeze money out of
it by virtue of it not being public domain. Just a thought.)

Lily Korte