[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Funeral Service For The Old Year

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 15 19:17:24 PDT 2005

LARRY at sign.guy at charter.net wrote:

> As far as I know no one does a Funeral for the old year here.  You told us
> how you did them one time but maybe you could outline it again.  Sounds like
> something fun to do.

Here is the basic outline. For the actual text of the Minister's messages,
write me off list for the Microsoft Word Attachment.

The idea is spreading in the Philadelphia area. I've had to turn down other
First Sunday Funerals for the old year because we are committed to this
Church every First Sunday in perpetuity, or until either I or Rev Ensminger
takes that heavenly journey.

Wouldn't it be great if every OKOM band in the world found a church to go
along with this type of "First" Sunday service? The second line through the
church at the end is a real treat. It spreads love and joy throughout the
congregation. Two things we could all use more of.

It is the politically correct thing to do. (Unless you are an activist
liberal member of the "free thought" society or a member of some right
wingnut dour, hate preaching church that thinks it has the only working
phone line to God and/or one that handles snakes in silence without music
and/or one that starts their service off with "Satanic Blues".) ;-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
                                                                  ORDER OF
SERVICE
UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST CHURCH, CHERRY HILL NEW JERSEY
THE REV. MELANIE MOREL-ENSMINGER
Jazz Funeral for the Old Year
First Sunday in January

Welcome & Announcements

Congregational Greeting

Call to Worship & Celebration    Tibetan bell

Prelude: Band Plays "Walkin With The King" Band Vocal

Introduction to a New Orleans Jazz Funeral By Rev.

Chalice Lighting:    Read words by Louis Armstrong, from his introduction to
Wonderful World 1970:
"And all I'm saying is, see what a wonderful world it would be, if only we
would give it a chance.  Love, baby, love.  That's the secret.  Yeah."

Opening Hymn: (This might be played at home of deceased before walk to
cemetery) Band Plays #162, "Down By The Riverside" Congregants Sing Lyrics.

Wake of the Old Year & Old Century:
Band Plays Hymn #199 "Precious Lord Take My Hand"

Meditation on the Old Year & Old Century
Band Plays "Just A Little While To Stay Here" Band Vocal

Ritual of Burying the Past:    Congregants are encouraged to come forward
down the center aisle & place in the casket their burden(s) of the past
year, returning to the seats by the side aisles.

Dirge for the Past:  Like the Walk Through The Streets of the City On The
Way to Cemetery
Band Plays Just a "Closer Walk With Thee" while congregants file by casket.

Meditation on the New Year / Offering
Joyful Music for Meditation:

Band Plays "What A Wonderful World" Band Vocal. Rev again references to
Louis's words that were said at the Chalice lighting. "What a wonderful
world it would be, if only we would give it a chance.

Meditation of Hope & Joy for the Future

Benediction & Introduction to Second Line.
Rev talks about the March back to the home of the deceased after the burial.
The Joy of it because death is viewed as a release from the trials and
tribulations of life. The deceased is in a better place.  Explains the
"second line" of hand clapping band followers.

Joyful Send-Off & Second Line: Band plays "When The Saints Go Marching In"
and marches around church with Congregation singing along, clapping and
following.