[Dixielandjazz] Music In Church - Jazzing up Religious Songs

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Fri Jul 15 17:05:49 PDT 2005

When I was teaching at Mo School for the Blind we had a principal that was
an old line Presbyterian.  He would make the kids attend assemblies that
were really church services.  The kids were asked to play for an Easter
assembly.  They chose "Were You There When They Crucified My Lord" done in a
trad jazz style.  The instrumentation was Tuba, Trumpet, Piano, Trombone and
Drums.  I actually had nothing to do with it.  They learned it on their own.
At the rehearsal for the assembly they played it.  The principal almost
fired me on the spot.  He said very loudly that it was the worst piece of
music he had ever heard".  Translated it swung.  I was really proud of the
kids because of what they had done with the arrangement.  On the bright side
the band was never asked again to play at a religious assembly. This was in
the 60's.

As far as I know no one does a Funeral for the old year here.  You told us
how you did them one time but maybe you could outline it again.  Sounds like
something fun to do.
Larry
St. Louis