[Dixielandjazz] Music In Church - Jazzing up Religious Songs

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Fri Jul 15 11:09:45 PDT 2005

Steve:
 I worked with a Quaker and I don't think they have music in their meetings
or as a regular part of those meetings but not being a Quaker I really don't
know.  Sorry I called the Meeting Houses, Churches.  A senior moment.

I too have played for a variety of church run facilities and groups.  It's
sort of like dancing.  I have played for a variety of church dances but
those same churches have very little dancing in their religious services.
What they do in their services is different than what they do outside of
their services.

It seems that most religious groups have softened their views on music in
the church and aren't as rigid as 50 years ago.

You mentioned Duke Ellington.  I had a student that had a wonderful ear.  He
grew up playing in Black churches and had a terrific grasp of jazz and
blues.  I talked to all my students about various aspects of jazz as a
matter of course and had them play some standards.  His mother got all over
my case for teaching her son jazz.  I tried to explain to her that that was
what he was playing but she wouldn't have any of it.  So I left the word
Jazz out and we moved into more religious tunes.  Teachers can't do that
today.  I heard him a few weeks ago and what a musician.  Very Cool.

Jazz or Contemporary Gospel. What's in a name?
Larry