[Dixielandjazz] Politically Correctness & Music

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 14 20:11:03 PDT 2005

Play whatever you want. Do not listen to individual idiots about what is OK
and what is not OK to play.

And . . . if you are insecure enough to need reinforcement consider the
history of the tunes in question. Learn what the hell the tune was about.
Then relate this history to the idiot who objected and tell him/her to quit
knee jerking about nonsense.

Darktown Strutters Ball: Written as a  showpiece for the very famous Hookers
Ball held annually in Chicago. The Ball was considered at the time, by those
black society figures, white society figures and hookers who attended to be
among the social highlights of the season. It was an honor to be invited no
matter what color you were.

Black & Blue: Sung in the Play Hot Chocolates in 1930 or so by a dark
skinned Black lady lamenting the fact that Black men preferred lighter
skinned Black ladies and so she was ignored by them. Has nothing to do with
White/Black relationships. Louis may have changed that by his version, but
then he was considered an Uncle Tom by Blacks almost his whole life. Hmmmm,
could it be that he was a lot more hip then we all thought about social
protest? Damn right it could. And where on earth is it written that a white
can't sing it?????????

Shine- Originally That's Why They Call Me Shine - written by a black
composer for a black play touring the black theater circuit in 1910.
Originally a musical spoof about white folks who put down black folks simply
because they are different.

Jazz Me Blues or Basin Street Blues  Well, these are about sex. (aren't most
songs either about sex or drugs?)

I Want A Little Girl - Check out the verse and this becomes a very innocent
song.

Etc, etc., etc.

Bottom line, explain the song if you have to, but for goodness sakes, in any
event YOU ARE THE MUSIC MAKER. PLAY WHAT EVER THE HELL YOU WANT.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Of course, like Tom Wiggins' Bands, mine are usually black & white and I
have never in the past 15 years had a complaint about tunes such as those
above which we play regularly. I did, however, get a complaint from a blue
haired lady once who told me in no uncertain terms that: "If I were A Bell
Was Not Jazz." I replied sweetly that it was the way we played it. Ah the
beauty of opinions from the ignorant.