[Dixielandjazz] Jazz funerals

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 13 17:53:16 PDT 2005

Barbone is right: they're all different, and the prices vary.   But
there was at one time a basic way of doing them that could be varied
with the territory.

At the funeral home, meet with the minister/rabbi/priest in advance
and work out the order of worship they intend to use.  No
surprises.   And of course, the funeral director needs in on the
meeting.   Play what the person who hires you asks you to play and
suggest other tunes as well if you think the situation warrants.
You are not the main event, so don't take over the ceremony.   But
there's always "Amazing Grace," "Closer Walk" and (I love doing this
one) "Come, All Ye Disconsolate."   Hubert Laws has the most poignant
rendition of this as a solo flute in that superslow jet black 12/8
tempo I love to play on.

You need a flexible portable group--trumpet, clarinet, trombone,
banjo, tuba, and a drummer with a sling for emergency parades. Just
be flexible and go with the flow.   I've played a most satisfactory
funeral with just low register clarinet alone doing "Amazing
Grace," [and another doing a solo rendition of Bach's "Air on the G
String,"  standing out under a tree like a lone piper as the casket
was brought out and lowered.  Not exactly OKOM, but very effective
and worth $400 bucks for about 10 minutes' work.]

Louis has a recording of the traditional tune played as a dirge on
the way to the gravesite (assuming it's in walking distance): "Flee
As A Bird To The Mountain," an ancient gospel hymn to be found in
many old hymnals.   Notice it is NOT "Free" as a Bird!,  but FLEE as
a bird, referring to the soul's flight into the beyond.    Beebe had
this recording someplace, but I never copied it--like much I've
failed to do over the years.  Our band recorded it in Chicago some 25
years ago for a T.V. special on funerals, but I've no idea where that
is now, either.  Louis plays the dirge: he doesn't rush it: he takes
all the time in the world--what ever it takes.  And it's great!
Barrett loved doing this tune with a long continuous roll, slight
accents here and there to help the horns...wonderful.

But on the way back from the cemetery there was always The One:
"Didn't He Ramble!" in Ab.

Sometimes you'll be asked to go along to the restaurant, to eat with
the family and to play a tune or two.  I always enjoy that.

BTW, Mike Marois probably has forgotten more about these funerals
than most of us will ever learn.  Maybe he'll pipe up--or is that
"tuba" up?  If Emery Thompson were still alive in N.O., he'd clue
everybody in.  And Barrett Deems must have done a million of 'em.
But the old men who grew up doing these funerals have all starred or
are all starring in funerals of their own!

I'm in no hurry.

Charlie