[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Funerals

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Wed Jul 13 13:04:08 PDT 2005

At 02:10 PM 07/13/05 -0500, Charlie Suhor wrote:
>Rick's description of the jazz funeral he played for sounds like a
>dignified event, originating with a request from the family of the
>bereaved.

Outside of NO, surely that's how dixieland funerals occur. We're usually
told the deceased was a big dixieland fan, and he/she may or may no have
specifically requested one.

>I have misgivings, though, about a highly aggressive
>marketing to play jazz funerals. Is it the moral equivalent of the
>lawyer who chases ambulances and offers his services to the accident
>victim's family?

No way. It's merely notifying relevant prospects of a particular service,
and one can reasonably assume the director will be happy to have the
information in the files. You can also inform the local booking agencies of
your product. A poop sheet describing the parts of a funeral, the possible
band formats, and providing a per-musician price. If you don't do it, the
family will have to start from scratch--where the hell does one find music?
Booking agencies are not obvious.

If the client gets you from the funeral director, there'd be a possibility
you'd be added on to the bill with a considerable markup.

> Maybe
>I'm tripping out on some sort of snooty moral high ground and should
>grow up, but this is how it strikes me.

In my experience, none of the NO syndrome would apply. It's just a very
meaningful add-on to a sad event. To the musicians, mainly a different kind
of gig...

--Sheik