[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Funerals

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Jul 13 12:10:18 PDT 2005

Rick's description of the jazz funeral he played for sounds like a
dignified event, originating with a request from the family of the
bereaved. I have misgivings, though, about a highly aggressive
marketing to play jazz funerals. Is it the moral equivalent of the
lawyer who chases ambulances and offers his services to the accident
victim's family? Jazz funerals began as part of a unique cultural
ritual when friends from fraternal organizations and such mourned their
loved ones. It can still be that, but often in New Orleans it has
turned into a show, where tourists show up with cameras, jive
umbrellas, and gee-whiz tales to tell 'em back in podunk about how hip
it all was to be at an "authentic" jazz funeral.
When Ernie K-Doe died, a local jock on WWOZ excoriated the
rubber-neckers and the press who turned it into a vulgar display. The
tired old question "Is nothing sacred?" applies literally here. Maybe
I'm tripping out on some sort of snooty moral high ground and should
grow up, but this is how it strikes me.

Charlie Suhor