[Dixielandjazz] Playing Loudly...some clarification

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Jul 12 11:34:08 PDT 2005

In a message dated 7/10/2005 1:08:49 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Artwoo
writes:

Actually I agree with Mike and Steve...play what is appropriate  for the
venue. I've known Mike since high school and have great admiration for  his
success and mastery of the trumpet. In fact I gave a brief review of  Mike's show
with Fred Radke on this list a few months ago. So,  Mike, don't think for a
moment that I have anything against your  talents or the power of a great brass
section!

I personally find it difficult to work in bands when the music is  distorted
and forced and competitive, so my remarks were a reflection of  that
frustration, not an indictment against a powerful band playing with  taste and purpose.

Thanks for the clarification, Art.  (We did play pretty loud in high  school
sometimes, didn't we????)
As I said before, one of the things that I love about big bands are the
total dynamic ranges that are obtainable in that context as opposed to a smaller
group.  And I like playing ballads with big bands too, unlike good old  Lester
Young.
Mike Vax