[Dixielandjazz] Old wind-passers and Acker Bilk

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Tue Jul 12 10:51:57 PDT 2005

Here's a corny joke about Acker Bilk.
Many years ago, the "Melody Maker" ran weekly competitions where you had to provide captions. One of them was to describe a walking doll of a famous musician. I won an LP with the following:
"Acker Bilk: You wind it up and it walks to a door marked 'Singing Lessons', shakes its head and walks sadly away".

To paraphrase the song "Bye And Bye":
" ... but Acker's down here, Acker's down here, and we're glad he's playing down here. Acker never, never, Acker never cracks - get a load of Acks."

Cheers

Bob Smith