[Dixielandjazz] Tailgait Party

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 10 20:58:14 PDT 2005

Tailgate Party . . .

Far as I know it's a sort of informal beer/snack party held in the parking
lot of some big league stadium or ball-park in the hours prior to a big
game. Gets its name from the tradition that the party stuff (booze, snacks,
lawn chairs, etc) are pungled up from the back of a pick-up truck or van
which has been placed in the parking lot early on for (1) good position to
the gates and ticket booths and (2) a place to hang out after the game for a
bit while traditional traffic gridlock exiting the parking lot after the
game has a chance to ease up.

If there is a better definition I'm all ears. . .

Cheers,

Bill "Go Giants!" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps -

Here's the Giant's original SF fight song:

"When the Giants come to town, it's Bye-Bye Baby!
Every time the chips are down, it's Bye-Bye Baby!
History's in the making at Candlestick Park!
Cheer for the batter, and light the spark!

If you're a fan of Giants baseball, sing Bye-Bye Baby!
If you want to be in first place, call Bye-Bye Baby!
Listen to the broadcast on KSFO.
Turn up the volume, and hear 'em go.
With the San Francisco Giants, it's Bye-Bye Baby!"

---

If you need the melody, ask me and I'll hum a few bars.

-BG