[Dixielandjazz] Loud doesn't mean "contest!"

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 22:42:03 PDT 2005

In a message dated 7/9/2005 12:00:45 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
artwoo at aol.com  writes:

I think  the point of this is that many musicians view playing as a
contest...he who  plays loudest and penetrates above the rest is the winner.
If you're a  sideman in a band like that, it is impossible to make music.

Did you  ever listen to the Lester Young interviews? He makes the same point;
he'd  rather play soft with a rhythm section than be in a band with
screaching  trumpets. I think every musician should listen to Lester Young's
remarks  and try to recall the joy of playing with a group rather than
against a  group.

I really don't think that groups who play with highly varied dynamics are
always "having a contest to see who can play the loudest."  Many groups  that I
have played in can play extremely loud, but can also play at a  whisper.
(Small or large groups.......)  We are ALWAYS thinking about  working together!  We
ALWAYS play WITH each other and not against each  other.
If Lester liked small groups better, good for him.  My FAVORITE kind  of
music is BIG BAND music.  Partly because of us "screeching trumpet  players,"
partly because of the sheer energy that a big band can deliver and  yes, partly
because of the whole dynamic spectrum from loud to soft that a small  group
CAN'T do.
So, we all have our favorite kinds of music to play and/or to listen  to.
Why put anyone down who might like some sheer volume once in a  while?????
Mike Vax