[Dixielandjazz] "Free" doesn't keep the music alive!

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 22:15:55 PDT 2005

In a message dated 7/9/2005 9:00:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  dixielandj
azz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

I'm  getting ready to launch a new working traditional jazz band in the Metro

Detroit area.  If you're looking to play for free in the Midwest, I  kindly
ask you not to come to Michigan.

Thanking you in  advance,
Rob McCallum

>From: "Steve & Cathy Pendleton"  <bestofbreed at mindspring.com>
>Thought I would write all of you, by  copying my post to Gail
>Kingston.  The Reunion Jazz Band looks  forward to building its
>schedule of gigs in the Midwest. So far, we're  still FREE (except
>for lodging and a meal or two per day,) so we are  hoping to spread
>Dixie and Trad to anyone who will  listen!!

Thank you, thank you, Rob McCallum for saying what I was thinking.   Bands
who play for free hurt all of us who play music.  (Especially those  of us who
are trying to make a living at it.)
The trad jazz festivals were started on the premise that many of the
musicians who play OKOM are amateurs who will work for free or practically  nothing,
just to play in front of an audience.  Part of keeping ANY form of  music
alive is having full time professionals who are willing to spend their  lives
perfecting their craft and creating new and exciting sounds, even if they  are new
arrangements of great old tunes from early jazz. This keeps the music  fresh.
(And as Steve Barbone keeps stressing, more interesting to newer and  younger
audiences!)
Jazz is NOT a museum piece, where all the bands should try to sound like
"cookie cutter" imitations of some 1929 recording.
I have always felt that all musicians who work at their craft (amateur or
professional) should be paid a fair wage for their services.  If a band  wants
to perfect it's sound and ability to play together in a harmonious manner,  it
should be done in rehearsals, NOT in front of audiences.
Mike Vax