[Dixielandjazz] Re: Need Lyrics - Rock a By My Baby

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 9 15:28:13 PDT 2005

Dear Bob,
I assume that you mean "Rock-a-bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody".
(1918. Jean Schwartz, music - Sam L Lewis & Joe Young, lyrics.)
Herewith the chorus.
I can transcribe the words to the introductory verse from the Al Jolson
record, if you really need them.
"Mammy mine, that little rolling stone......etc."
Kind regards,
Bill.

"Rock-a-bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody"

Chorus:
Rock-a-bye your baby with a Dixie melody
When you croon, croon a tune from that heart of Dixie
Just place my cradle, mammy mine
Right on that Mason Dixon line
And swing it from Virginia
To Tennessee with all the soul that's in ya

Weep no more, my lady
Sing that it again for me
*Soft and low, just as though
You had me on your knee

A million baby kisses I'd deliver
If you would only sing that Swanee River
Rock-a-bye your rock-a-bye baby with a Dixie melody

* Al Jolson sings: And 'Old Black Joe', just as though.