[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 31, Issue 15

Loerchen2 at aol.com Loerchen2 at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 12:58:08 PDT 2005

Dick,

Depends on what kind of dancers you want to please -- the perfect  1920s-30s
foxtrot tempo averages 94-96 bpm.  I analyzed a bunch of tunes  from the
mid-1920s to 1933 for a demonstration of period dance at French  Quarter Festival,
and almost all of them came in that range.  It's a very  comfortable tempo for
dancing Foxtrot or Toddle.

If you want a one-step, 110-120 is good, a Castle Walk can go to 130, and
for a two-step, you can pump it to 140.  But that's only for the  young!

Charleston around 120; Black Bottom is a little slower at about 96.

Good Shag tempo is around 103-105.  If you're talking swing and Lindy,
you've got a lot of leeway -- those folks will dance to  anything!    I used 88 for
an early Lindy demo.

Sue

In a message dated 7/9/2005 2:00:35 PM Central Standard Time,