[Dixielandjazz] Making the clarinet sound like Tony Scott Artie Shaw and Lester Young

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 9 12:21:20 PDT 2005

On Saturday, July 9, 2005, at 12:21 AM, artwoo at aol.com wrote:

> I think the point of this is that many musicians view playing as a
> contest...he who plays loudest and penetrates above the rest is the
> winner. If you're a sideman in a band like that, it is impossible to
> make music.

Perfectly put.  I've been in so many bands like that, always from
necessity, never by choice.  For a clarinetist, this is forever the
danger, since we play a musical instrument, not a duck call, not a
bratty brass sound, not an electric amp turned up the heaven.  I've
been lucky in my own bands, able to hire musical players, not
razzle-dazzle cut-ups.  I've found over the years that the real
musicians can always do razzle-dazzle when the occasion requires it;
but cut-ups can't settle down and play music because they are not
musical.

Best example is the top super-mod trumpet player in Chicago, a kid
who looks (and often sounds) exactly like Red Rodney, can play the
damndest Chicken Dance you ever heard!  Somebody wants it, he
delivers--and then some!  Then turns around and plays a beautiful
ballad.  The real musician wants to be able to do it all, takes pride
in it.

But that doesn't mean he wants to spend ALL his time on bullshit!

Also, to me, Tony Scott, since the day back in the mid 50s when I
heard his original album, has been the guy to watch.  Many other
players have my heartfelt admiration--DeFranco, Sam Most, Brad Terry,
Eddie Daniels, Jack Mayheu, Chuck Hedges, Pete Fountain--but Tony
Scott always had the sound, the Artie Shaw (my main man!) feel, that
nobody else has ever had.  I've no idea what he is doing in Italy
now, but it's a grand place and I hope he's well.

Charlie Hooks