[Dixielandjazz] What's a "danceable" tempo?

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Sat Jul 9 09:18:02 PDT 2005

We have played a few "swing" dances  for younger folk and the instructors
have sometimes said that 180 bpm (beats per minute) is about the maximum
desirable speed , when they are trying to teach the Charleston, Lindy Hop
etc.   If you have "Band In A box" on your computer, it is easy to know how
this feels.
While on stage, count how many beats per 10 seconds and mutiply by six -
that will tell you your speed.   180 is not really very fast.  Quiite a bit
slower than the average up-tempo number played by dixieland bands.

On the other hand, if you want to fill the dance floor and get the oldsters
shuffling around, stay around 110 bpm for a lot of the numbers.

Brian Towers
Leader, Hot Five Jazzmakers
Toronto
http://hotfivejazz.tripod.com