[Dixielandjazz] What's a "danceable" tempo?

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org
Sat Jul 9 07:56:28 PDT 2005

Listmates:

A number of posters have referred to the term "danceable tempo" in our
discussions about what draws and keeps an audience for OKOM. I'd like to
hear opinions (especially from the prolific and thought-provoking Steve
Borbone) about where that comes out on a metronome. I realize there are
slow, medium, and fast dances, but what would you say is the range that
fills the dance floor? I  realize, too, that a series of hot tempos all in
a row will clear the floor but, given an intelligent variety, what's your
idea of slow, medium, and fast?

--Dick Miller