[Dixielandjazz] Making the clarinet sound like Tony Scott Artie Shaw and Lester Young

artwoo at aol.com artwoo at aol.com
Fri Jul 8 22:21:04 PDT 2005

Hi Steve and DJMLers: The quote at the bottom of your post to the DJML, Steve, reminds me of Tony Scott. Would you agree that he has been searching for his "inner voice" since leaving the New York jazz scene many years ago?

Though I don't know too much about either artist it seems that Tony Scott has become what Artie Shaw may have become if Artie kept on playing...

The similarity between the 2 is the idea that the clarinet (or any musical instrument for that matter) is a way to express the inner voice whether it be a shout, whisper or moan. Just playing the notes so they bounce off the walls is stupid and self-defeating.

I think the point of this is that many musicians view playing as a contest...he who plays loudest and penetrates above the rest is the winner. If you're a sideman in a band like that, it is impossible to make music.

Did you ever listen to the Lester Young interviews? He makes the same point; he'd rather play soft with a rhythm section than be in a band with screaching trumpets. I think every musician should listen to Lester Young's remarks and try to recall the joy of playing with a group rather than against a group.